My days and weeks are filled with so much excitement it is unbelievable. This morning we had a meeting with a mother of a 4th grade student. They are homeless and the mother is very upset about a lot of things. I follow my mentor teacher into these meetings and this morning was no different than the rest. The second I walked in the room, she looked at me and shouted, "WHO IS SHE?!?!". It was weird being verbally attacked like that, and it's not often that I feel like I am threatening someone just by being white. Supposedly she won't work with anyone who is white. It's a humbling experience to be the minority.
Then, our paraprofessional, who is basically a teacher's assistant, was served court papers because she is refusing to pay her car note. This is a different world and a great learning experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment